Monday, June 9, 2008

Books on Writing ~ Author David Gerrold


I have just finished reading Worlds of Wonder How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy by David Gerrold a prolific novelist and screenwriter. His credentials include writing for Star Treck, The War Against Chtorr series, Star Wolf series, The Dingilliad series to name a few. Not to mention being the recipient of numerous awards such as the Hugo and the Nebula.

I loved this book. I loved the way it was written and I especially love his perspective on writing. The word through his eyes is magical and the story form has endless possibilities.

The book is full of great lessons as basic as person, theme and style but my favorite chapters were the ones titled Simile, Metaphor, Adjectives and Adverbs, Metric Prose and Evoking. These chapter touched upon what your writing could be, the potential of creating a great piece of work and how to get there. What most touched me is how he spoke about writing as an art form which is exactly how I feel about it and why I love writing. Writing is art. It is creative. Creating something from nothing is amazing but creating with a purpose and doing it well is a level I aspire to attain.

I highly recommend this book. It has left me inspired to learn more, to practice and to fulfill my potential as an artist.

No comments: