Sunday, November 28, 2010

i watch MOVIES ~ Don't Look Back


I watch tons of movies so I get excited when I find an interesting story that breaks away from the cookie cutter template. I'm refering to the French thriller Don't Look Back / Ne Te Retourne Pas directed by Marina de Van starring France's Sophie Marceau and Italy's Monica Bellucci.
.
The movie is about a writer who changes genres and attempts to write an auto biography but her editor hates the first draft because it lacks emotion. Her mother believes it's a bad idea and also discourages her. Then we learn that at the age of 8 she suffered some tragic accident which erased all of her childhood memories. The novel is her attempt to put the missing pieces together and we come along on this psycological adventure.
.
The movie makes you think about perception and how flawed it can be. Have you ever questioned your perception of an event? We never really see ourselves merely our reflections. The same with our voice which echoes in our bodies. In essence each person has a condradicting perseption of the world so how can we trust what is real and what is imagined. How do you know what is real?
.
I don't want to reveal anything so I'll just say that I loved the scenes where reality morphed with memory to recreate an alternate reality. The richness of color and panic of the character reminded me of the mastery of Hitchcock.
.
The acting was flawless and I was able to follow the storyline without any problems even though I read many critics did. I had no problem whatsoever understanding the story the director told. It is a thrilling mystery that slowly reveals itself.
.
You can watch the trailer below and I recommend you watch it. It's available on NetFlix play on demand. If you've seen it tell me what you thought.
.

No comments: