Monday, August 8, 2011

Analyzing the Stories we LOVE

I'm finally taking the time to put together a short list of the stories I love with the purpose of analyzing them. I love a good story no matter what the format so I'm mixing books & movies.

It has been a worthwhile learning experience. If you're a writer I recommend you try it not to mention it's pretty fun.

Some questions to ask:

  • What did you like about these stories?

  • What feelings and experiences are you looking for?

  • What do these stories have in common?

  • Are there any recurring themes?

Theme: message, moral of the story, idea, subject matter, motif, motive, point, point at issue, problem, proposition, question, stuff, subject, text, thesis, thought, topic, meaning, essence, argument, context, focus,


Here are a few Stories I love in no particular order.

Source: google.com via Letty on Pinterest

Genre: fantasy, drama
I love the beautiful, fantastical visuals and the emotionally powerful use of story within a story.



Source: google.com via Letty on Pinterest

Genre: gothic horror, romance
I loved the music, visuals and romantic idea of eternal love.



Source: google.com via Letty on Pinterest

Genre: adventure, action,
I love being taken to another period in time and the exacting of Revenge.


Source: google.com via Letty on Pinterest


Genre: coming of age, comedy
I love the way John Hughes uses humor to relay his message.



Source: imdb.com via Letty on Pinterest

Genre: horror
I love the dark setting/mood/filmography and the strong female lead character.



Source: goodreads.com via Letty on Pinterest


Genre: Historical Fiction
I loved the setting because it was completely unfamiliar to me. The two strong female protagonists were so interesting to me that I couldn't put this book down until I finished.





Genre: dystopian thriller
I love the setting, the strong characters and the moral of the tale.




Genre: romantic comedy
I love, love, love the music and especially loved the relationship between the two lead characters.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I learned about myself:

1. I learned that I love stories set in an alternate universe or time frame.

2. I love strong Characters I can connect with and go on an emotional journey.

3. My favorite films combine great story, soundtrack and fantastic visuals.

4. Something that took me by surprise was the constant mentioning of the word 'noir' in the descriptions of these stories.



Noir: 1. Of or relating to a genre of crime literature featuring tough, cynical characters and bleak settings. 2. Suggestive of danger or violence. 3.A movie characterized by low-key lighting, a bleak urban setting, and corrupt, cynical characters.

5. I love stories with themes of justice and equality.

6. I love horror, romance & comedy.


7. I love mythical stories.

Myth: 1. A traditional, typically ancient story dealing with supernatural beings, ancestors, or heroes that serves as a fundamental type in the worldview of a people, as by explaining aspects of the natural world or delineating the psychology, customs, or ideals of society. 2. A fiction or half-truth, especially one that forms part of an ideology. 3. a theme or character type embodying an idea



I used Pinterest to bookmark these and many, many more stories. You can take a look at my:
Stories i ℓღνє board HERE.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for commenting on our blog. I am not a professional photographer but I do enjoy capturing the history of small towns. I am also a librarian so I will be looking in on your blog as well. Thanks, again. D

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

You love poetry, huh?
HeeHee
Our blogs gotta SLEWWA poetry, lil one.
Wannum?
God bless your indelible soul.