Monday, January 31, 2011

Research Puerto Rico History

Now that I have completed my first writing goal for the year I'm inspired to move onto another project. This one will be an hour long screenplay based on Puerto Rican folktales.  The challenge, I believe, will be creating a historically accurate setting and characters.  I've already begun researching the history of Puerto Rico.  I will be focusing on the dates between 1450 and 1550.

It was a fascinating time of change for the island and it's people that I do not believe has been accurately captured.   I feel it's extremely important to document history from our point of view as honestly as possible.  I think we owe it not only to ourselves but future generations.

As we speak in 2011 part of our Taino history is still not accurate. It was falsely assumed they disappeared but DNA technology has proved otherwise.

Here are some books I've read so far.  I would love to hear suggestions.  Do you have any book recommendations for me?

- The Greenwood Histories of The Modern Nations, The History of Puerto Rico
  By: Lisa Pierce Flores
Very well written, easy to read with many interesting facts.

- The Peoples Voice Puerto Rico Culture & History
  By: Rochester City School District 1993
A great book for children with basic facts and nice illustrations.

- Once in Puerto Rico
  By: Pura Belpre
A wonderful anthology of folktales for children of all ages.

No comments: