Saturday, May 17, 2008

Ray Bradbury

When you think of the horror genre one of the first names to pop into your head is Ray Bradbury for sure. I've seen his stuff on tv and film but am only just now getting around to reading it and . . . WOW!

I picked up a copy of his story The HomeComing illustrated by Dave McKean. The original publication was in Mademoiselle magazine way back in 1946. I didn't know mademoiselle's back then enjoyed reading that type of stuff but aparently it's a more common guilty pleasure than I thought. umhmmm. Anyways . . . It's a great tale about a family of ghouls attending a reunion on when else but Halloween.

After only a few pages in I was convinced of this mans genius. He has an amazing descriptive ability. An example of his powerful way of describing something is how he compared something as mundane as teeth to nails, steel and a corn kernal. I'm hooked and look forward to reading more Ray Bradbury.

Of all his movies, Something Wicked This Way Comes is the movie that stands out most for me. I was a kid when I watched it and thought it was absolutely creepy. I didn't know what was coming but I knew whatever was coming was truely wicked. yikes!

Awesome Ray Bradbury Quotes:

"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things. "

"Those who don’t build must burn. It’s as old as history and juvenile delinquence. "


A Conversation with Ray Bradbury


Also on my nightstand is Stephen King's Everything's Eventual - 14 Dark Tales. 2BReadSoon

No comments: