Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Duchess Movie ~ based on the life of Duchess of Devonshire


I watched movie The Duchess starring Keira Knightley this afternoon. It was an enjoyable movie with a believable story, great acting, beautiful costumes and authentic looking sets.
-
The movie was based on the book written by Amanda Foreman which is based on the life of Georgiana Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire. Georgiana was a famous woman born in the late 18th century who has fascinated historians with her reputation of being beautiful, a gambler, involved in politics and having a strange marital arrangement. Considering the period she lived in, I don't think it was strange, I think it was survival.
-
Watching the film made me wonder how much of the story is true but even deeper than that it made me think of freedom and equality. It is now 2009 and still there is no equality for women and that is a sad thing. I feel lucky to not have been born in that time period but even today all we have to do is raise our eyes and look around to see the many injustices that go on in the world. I don't have to look far since even in the US women are not allowed to be President. The farther I look, the worse the circumstances and atrocities committed against women.
-
So what can we do? What do we do about that?
We can remember the past so we are not doomed to repeat it.
-
Freedom defined on dictionary.com:
the power to determine action without restraint
-
Does freedom exist?

No comments: