Thursday, January 1, 2009

What I'm Reading - 1st week of January

I have just finished reading Neil Gaiman's latest book titled The Graveyard Book.

The story is about an orphaned toddler who narrowly escapes being murdered by wandering into a graveyard. He is found by two ghosts who believe it is their duty to care for this child. Will the other spirits in the old graveyard agree to give a human free reign of their home?

I loved this story. I really enjoyed this ghost tale that hooked me from the first page and immediately sucked me into another world. A world where ghosts, spirits and many other creatures exist, each with their own magic qualities striving to survive. Gaiman is such a master of words that I effortlessly pictured the setting and creepiness of the old graveyard. I could picture all of the characters, but especially the main character Bod. I really cared about what happened to Nobody Owens and kept reading page after page to see what happened next.

Next on my reading list:
Letter to my Daughter by Maya Angelou
The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

No comments: