Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What I learned about Latino Lit from today's Twitter #Litchat



Today's topic on twitter's #litchat was Latino literature. I am a Latina but I don't know much about Latino literature because growing up in the US I was not exposed to any in school other than La Carreta and Don Quixote. Now as an adult I want to know more. My active mind is always thirsting for knowledge.

So todays basic fact:
Latino Literature
is generally used to describe lit written by Americans of Hispanic descent.

Latin American Literature
is generally used to describe writing by authors who identify as Lat-American (i.e. from Bolivia, Peru, etc)

I would also like to share the following list of books that were recommended by the lovely people participating in the chat.

In the Time of Butterflies by Julia Alvarez
The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano
So Far From God by Ana Castillo
My Wicked Ways & Loose Woman by Sandra Cisneros
B As In Beauty by Alberto Ferreras
Into the Beautiful North by Luis Alberto Urrea
The Devils Highway by Luis Alberto Urrea
Rain of Gold by V. Villasenor

Another great resource is a wonderful list compiled on the GoodReads website of the top Latino/Latina Fiction. Click here to go to the GoodReads website.


Please feel free to post your reading recommendations in the comments section. I am always looking for something to read.

No comments: