Monday, November 16, 2009

My trip to the Miami Book Fair

What is the Miami Book Fair?
.
This is a huge event that takes place every year during the month of November on the campus of Miami Dade College right smack in the middle of gorgeous Downtown Miami. The event features hundreds upon hundreds of author chats & book signings throughout the entire week. Then on the last weekend there is a wonderful fair with booths and activities all centered around books. Also on the last weekend there are author events running simultaneously from 9am until evening. It's easy to create your own schedule since all the events are listed on the Fair website ahead of time.
.



Unfortunately I have had a terrible cold this weekend so I only made it down on Saturday. I'm glad I did. I had a wonderful time. I made it to two different author events.
.
The first event I attended was: Nueva perspectiva Literaria with authors Anjanette Delgado, Odette Alonso and Ana Cabrerra
.
New because the authors books are Chica-Lit but star highly intelligent, professional main characters. Of the three I have read Anjanette Delgado's, Heartbreak Pill and the fact that I could relate to a smart level headed main character made it that much of a better read for me.
.

The second event I attended was The Art & Craft of Film with authors Reed Martin on The Reel Truth and Robert Polito on the Collected Film Writing of Manny Farber.
.
This was a very interesting talk and I really enjoyed Reed Martin's clever and entertaining inside look into the film industry. I look forward to reading his book soon which is all about what NOT to do when making a film based on interviews with famous movie makers.
.
.
Then we walked around enjoying the pleasant weather, browsing books, listening to live marimba music while sharing a greek gyro.

For those who could not make it CSpan broadcasted many of the events and probably have them on their Book TV website.

Who did you see at the Miami Book fair?



No comments: